You may or may not already be familiar with I-cord, but you’ll certainly know it well after this class, which covers basic I-cord construction, a few variations on the theme, and applications such as I-cord cast-ons and bind-offs, built-in side edges, attached I-cord borders, and buttonholes, as well as many helpful tips and tricks.
(Must be comfortable knitting and purling.)
Techniques to be covered
- I-cord (various stitch counts)
- Square i-cord
- Applied i-cord in same color
- Applied i-cord in contrasting color
- Rounding corners
- I-cord bind-off
- Three-needle i-cord bind-off
- Built-in i-cord
- I-cord cast on
- 50 gms smooth, light-colored, worsted-weight yarn
- 50 gms smooth, contrasting-colored, worsted-weight yarn
US 7 (4.5 mm) double-pointed needles, approximately 7″ (18 cm) in length
- Blunt darning needle
Swatch #1: Cast on 15 stitches. Knit 30 rows (garter stitch). Bind off.
Swatch #2: Cast on 15 stitches. Knit 10 rows (garter stitch). Do not bind off. Cut yarn, leaving a 3-yard tail.
Swatch #3: Repeat Swatch #2.
Swatch #4: Cast on 15 stitches. Knit 10 rows (garter stitch). Do not bind off. Cut yarn, leaving an 8″ tail.