Hats from the top down. Socks from the toe up. Gloves from the fingertips. Circular shawls, seamless bags, pouches, and toys. What do these things have in common? Each can be worked from the “center” out! Learn to knit your way out of the middle of nowhere with a sampling of closed cast-ons. Included are the Figure-Eight, Turkish, Emily Ocker’s, and more.
Combine Something from Nothing with some of Sarah’s other upcoming classes — Knitting in Circles and Stripes, Stripes, and More Stripes, for example — to learn everything you need to make a top-down hat or a bottom-up bag.
Techniques to be covered
- Bosnian garter-stitch tab
- Circular cast-on
- Emily Ocker’s cast-on
- Figure Eight cast-on
- Turkish cast-on
- Starting with dpns
- All knitting class sessions will take place online via Zoom at the appointed times only, and will not be recorded.
- A Zoom link will be emailed to each student 24 hours prior to each upcoming class session.
- The online instruction will consist of two windows: one with Sarah’s smiling face, and one with on-camera close-ups for demonstration purposes. Each student’s smiling face will also be viewable in a window.
- Each student will be responsible for using Zoom (super easy by clicking on a link) on an electronic device that is large enough for the instructor window and demonstration window to be clearly viewed.
- No refunds.
- Adventurous knitter and above
- MUST be comfortable with both knitting and purling
- 50 gms smooth and light-colored (so you can see what you’re doing), bulky to aran weight yarn (3.5 to 4 sts/in)
- a few yards of smooth scrap yarn
- US 9 (5.5mm) double-pointed needles (set of 5), or whichever size you would normally use with your chosen yarn
- US 9 (5.5mm) circular needle, or whichever size you would normally use with your chosen yarn, at least 32″ (80cm) long (Sarah prefers a 40” length — you will probably struggle with anything shorter than 32″)
- US G (4mm) crochet hook, or something comparable to the needle size selected
- stitch markers
- blunt darning needle
Homework to be completed before class with yarn and needles described above:
- With yarn and dpns (described above), cast on 6 stitches. Knit 12 rows (garter stitch). Do not bind off. Do not cut yarn.